Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Opinicus[_2_] Opinicus[_2_] is offline

Default Alphabetizing

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 01:32:24 -0400, "Fay Zeller"
wrote:

I need to take reservations for an event & note the # of people attending.
Therefore
1. Jane Smith
2. Edgar Guest
3. Joe Jones
4. Bob Able
5.Jennifer Boyer
6. David Hall
7. Bill Williams
After the list is complete I need to alphabetize, as going through a list of
200 people when they arrive takes too much time.
when I use the sorter it doesn't work because of the numbers, probably.
How can I alphabetize this list?.

I would use a table with three columns and 200 rows. The first column
would be for the number, the second column for the first name, and the
third column for the surname. One the table is created, you'd be able
to sort on whatever columns you want.

If you already have such a list, you could convert it to table format
by replacing all blank spaces with tab marks (^t) and then convert.
(Highlight the list, type alt-A, v, x.) If you have any entries with
more than two names in them there would be problems with this method
of course.

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com