Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default When merging from database, ignore certain values

I think what you need in this case is to insert a nested IF field in your
mail merge main document.

Use Alt-F9 to show/hide the field codes ({ MERGEFIELD CustomerID } etc.) and
ctrl-F9 to insert /every/ pair of the special "field code braces" {} that
surround each field.

In this case, try

{ IF { MERGEFIELD Customer } = "New Prospect" "" "{ MERGEFIELD Customer }" }

Peter Jamieson

"CW" wrote in message
We use Word to produce all the job-control documents from our SQL Server
database, and have many mergefields working in these documents.
However there are occasions when the value in the database is such that we
do not want the merge to take place.
For example in our Customers table we have the value "New Prospect" and if
this has been entered on a job in the database, it will print out on the
docs
whenever the mergefield Customer: is used.
I would like to code this mergefield so that if the value is found to be
"New Prospect" it would be ignored and the field would not be populated on
the doc.
I know this is some sort of If statement but I cannot get anything to
work.....help, please!
Many thanks
CW