Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Temporary ~WRL files

Word creates temporary files when it runs - filenames similar to those you
have named are typical. You only need concern yourself about them if they
remain when Word is closed, as they will if Word crashes. If they are
allowed to remain when Word is closed they can interfere with the nromal
running of Word. They are not editable files.
See http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm

MamaGrubb wrote:
Does anyone know why sometimes a temporary Word file beginning with
~WRL gets created either along with or instead of ~$ilname.doc while
editing a file?

It is when a .tmp file with a name linke ~WRL####.tmp gets created
that I am unable to save the document being edited -- and loose it
completely.

I asked about this in another thread and everybody tought I have disk
problems -- but that disk I save to works just fine both before and
after a save disaster. I think the problem may be related to the tmp
file since I get a message saying Word could not read the ~WRL file
file while trying to save to a file I have named.