Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default AutoTextList Bug in Word 2003?

Well, think about this logically. If you didn't have Template X open for
editing, would you want all AutoText entries you created in a document based
on Template Y to be saved in Template X? I think what Word does makes sense.

"Bob W" wrote in message
In case it helps someone else, I have noticed that Word constantly insists
on
defaulting to storing autotext in the my Normal.dot template, even though
am working in a different template. Because of this surreptitious default
behavior, it is repeatedly necessary during a working session to do an
Insert\Autotext\Autotext and at the bottom of the AutoCorrect dialog, and
change the "Look in" location back to the name of the template I am
editing,
instead of my normal.dot template.

If I create an autotext item by mistake in the normal.dot template, and
then
define an autotextlist in my new template, the autotextlist will show ALL
autotext definitions (in both the normal.dot and the new.dot) regardless
of
what style I gave the autotextlist items in my new.dot.

At that point, to fix it, I have to go into the Organizer, copy the errant
autotext items from the normal.dot into my new.dot, delete them from
normal.dot, double check to make sure the "Look in" has not again reverted
back to my normal.dot, and then go back to each autotextlist item,
highlight
it (not including the paragraph symbol), press Alt-F3, and tell Word "Yes,
want to re-define the autotext entry" for each line item. After doing all
that, the autotextlist items will display properly.

This whole tedious and duplicative chain of repair events is required only
because of Word's surreptitious default that keeps changing the storage
location for all autotext items back to my normal.dot, without alerting
me.
One can only wonder how many hundreds of thousands of man-hours are
wasted,
worldwide, by a humanity struggling to make this feature function, while
Word's default methodically and surreptitiously torpedoes all their best
efforts.

I believe it's necessary to re-set the "Look in" only once during any
template editing session. However, you have to remember to do it every
time
you re-open the template, BEFORE you do anything else. Each time you close
out of the template, the "Look in" reverts to normal.dot. I am not aware
of
any Word setting that can alter this highly annoying default behavior.

Unfortunately, people don't work like Mr. Spock, with perfect, impeccable
logic and order; we create a number of autotext items and/or autotext
lists,
close the template, try them out, re-open it, make more changes, close it,
test it, etc. So this Word default becomes a gigantic headache, posing a
constant corruption hazard to our work and productivity when we dare to
work
with Autotextlists in Word's Twilight Zone.

(But when they work, the payoff is always very gratifying!)

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Hi Bob,

I think you're right, it's buggy. I tried reproducing what you described.
While I didn't get exactly the same results, it didn't behave very nicely
at
all. I was able to get just the "AE Name+Address" autotextlist to show
just
the entries for that style, but the "AE Name(Header)" autotextlist and
that
category in the AutoText menu included entries from some other unrelated
style. When I went into the AutoText dialog and deleted a couple of the
unrelated entries, both AE groups started showing all the defined entries
from every style!