Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cjm563 cjm563 is offline

Default Received .doc file. Opens in unreadable font. How to read.

I now find that the document was created some years ago and saved on the hard
drive. The person who created it can himself not open it. He mailed it to me
hoping it would open for me. Any ideas as to what to do?

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

The ZIP file is to compress the file and minimize the possibility of
corruption in transit.

cjm563 wrote:
I did save on the hard drive first. Also I know this is a Word file
which was created in Word 2000.What is the purpose of a zip file? The
document is not large.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

While Suzanne is correct - don't try opening Word documents directly
from e-mail messages. Save to the hard drive first. Word documents
sometimes corrupt in transit. Check with the sender that it is
indeed a Word document, and if it is ask the sender to zip the file
and resend it.

cjm563 wrote:
Received a file attachment in Outlook with a .doc extension and the
Word logo before the document name. When I try to open the file it
opens Microsoft Word, then shows a small window with the documents
contents seen in a font that is mostly symbols and a message on top
that says "Select the encoding that makes your document readable".
But none of the offered choices of encoding make the document
readable.

How can I read this document?