Pat Garard

G'Day Steve,

In Word Xp, to the right of the Menubar, there is a box 'Type
a question for help'. Type 'find file' in this box and press Enter.

The 'Search' button is immediately to the Left of the 'Print'
button on the Standard Toolbar.

Be careful with the 'Selected locations' dropdown - when you
click a folder once, it is ticked and will be searched. If you click
it a second time, it remains ticked and the icon changes to indicate
that subfolders will also be searched.

You may need to activate the Indexing Service.
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

"Steve" wrote in message
(I tried to submit this question a couple of days ago and believe it was
not
received. I can't find any trace of that posting. I am NOT trying to post
duplicate messages.)

Can anyone help me with this? I use Word 2000's Find File feature a lot so
can search for a word that could be in any of several hundred Word files.
This worked fine with Windows 98SE, but now that I've installed XP, I
can't
use Word's Find File feature. When I try to, I get an error message saying
that "Word was unable to install the necessary filters. This search cannot
be
completed."

I have uninstalled Word (and all of Office) and reinstalled it, but the
same
problem persists. Do anyone have any suggestions so I can solve this
problem,
keeping Word 2000 and XP?

Many thanks.
--