Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
tobiahw via OfficeKB.com

Default Multilevel sorting

So would I highlight each main entry and choose Heading 1 style, or is there
a way to globally apply it?

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
I guarantee that if you apply Heading 1 style to each main entry, you will
be able to sort this in Outline view. This assumes that there is a paragraph
break at the end of each line. If you have line breaks within entries (so
that each main entry is a single paragraph), it will be even easier: just
use Table | Sort.'

If your current set up has an empty paragraph (blank line) between main
entries, replace ^p with ^l (lowercase L), then replace ^l^l with ^p and you
will have the required format for using Table | Sort.

There are two indexes I have made with the normal default settings, page view,
and no special formatting yet. For instance:

[quoted text clipped - 19 lines]

Tobiah