Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default One page [only] Word restriction

I believe the notes *start* below the left-most column; Word then goes on to
fill the space below the following columns. Still, it seems strange to me,
and I don't know why that decision was made.

Some users do want to "put several footnotes in the same line of text" and I
guess columnar footnotes is a way to accomplish something similar, even if
the main body is one column.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in message
What you describe is "typesetting standard"; why, then, does it say it
puts all footnotes under the leftmost column? (I recently came across
some journal articles that did it that way in the 1960s, but it's
pretty confusing.)

You mean, you can have two columns of footnotes under one broad column
of text, which was a common way of doing it in the first half of the
20th century? I asked for that here many years ago -- even FrameMaker
couldn't do that (and neither could InDesign, at least as late as CS5;
I see CS6 is out now).

The illustration there shows 2 cols. with 1 col. of footnotes. That
just seems perverse.

On Jun 2, 2:26 pm, "Stefan Blom"
wrote:
I rarely use columns so I had to test what happens in Word 2010-and it
puts the footnote text below the column containing the footnote
reference.
To me, both possibilities make sense, and I don't know what is
"typesetting
standard" (assuming there is one).

The fact that you can choose the number of columns used for footnotes
(seehttp://blogs.office.com/b/microsoft-word/archive/2012/08/21/layout-in...)
is clearly an improvement, in my mind.

I have heard from others that the compatibility options are fewer in Word
2013, unless you save in an older file format that is. In other words, we
are not given the same level of control over the layout, which I consider
be a disadvantage.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in

Thanks. Just about everything listed there would be disastrous.
(Especially the footnotes/columns thing.)

On Jun 2, 12:37 pm, "Stefan Blom"
wrote:
I know very little of Word 2013, which I haven't used yet, but a
number
of
layout improvements have been made, according to the following KB
article:

Changes in content layout between Word 2013 and earlier versions of
Wordhttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/2740483/en-us/

On the other hand, the click-to-run installations (which seem to be
the
default for most end-user licenses??) appear to be flawed, based on
the
reports seen in the Microsoft Community.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in

Yes -- it's the same in 2007.

I now know of _two_ improved features in 2010 that, had I known of
them at the time, would probably have led me to upgrade: provision
for
different handling of bibliographic references in footnotes, and
automatic insertion of ligatures for fi , fl, etc.

I wonder what else they never bothered to mention, and what might
have
been improved in 2013.

On Jun 2, 6:39 am, "Stefan Blom"
wrote:
Sorry, I meant to write Word 2010! (I haven't used Word 2007 in a
while
so I
don't remember if there were any changes between 2007 and 2010.)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" wrote in
message

In Word 2007, the left-most group on the Home tab is called
Clipboard
and
it contains items Paste, Cut, Copy, and Format Painter (if that
helps...).