Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default how to aligh footer content in word 2007

I started to point that out but then figured that at least the tab positions
would be converted to a hard tab stop--wouldn't adjust if the margins
changed but should at least be correct for the present margins? But I
haven't tested this.

http://word.mvps.org

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
But note that alignment tabs are not supported in earlier versions than
Word 2007, which means that backwards compatibility (if that is required)
is not guaranteed.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
As you've noticed, the "center" position of the center-aligned tab stop
and the "right' position of the right-aligned tab stop are set for the
default 1" margins. There are two ways you can correct this.

1. Move the tab stops to the correct position. You can do this either
through the Tabs dialog or using the ruler. It appears that you don't
have your ruler displayed, so select the View tab and check the box for
Ruler in the Show/Hide group.

2. Use alignment tabs. These will ensure that your tabs maintain their
relative position even if the margins are changed. When you are in the
footer and the Header & Footer Tools | Design tab is displayed, look at
the Position group of the tab. The bottom button is Insert Alignment Tab.
This button doesn't actually insert a tab stop but instead positions the
cursor at the center or right of the margin width, irrespective of
existing tab stops (which you can leave, move, or remove). You can
actually use these anywhere, not just in the header and footer, but to do
so you would have to add a button to the QAT to access the dialog.

http://word.mvps.org

"rockhammer" wrote in message
I've defined the page margins to 0.5" for top, bottom, left & right.

I'm trying to set up my footer to align to that but can't. In my footer
want filename aligned to the left margin, page x of y in the middle
(centred)
and date & time aligned to the right margin. But the positioning of the
latter two are off. The centre one is off centre and the end of the date
&
time is easily 1" from the right edge of the page. In 2007 there is no
longer the tab alignment thing up top.

Your help much appreciated.