Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dave Dave is offline

Default Word in Microsoft Works suite ?

I don't know what "Word" you are referring to in MS Works7, 8 or Suite 2004
or 2005 because there is no "Word" in any MS Works suite. MS Works names
there applications in the suite "Works Word processor, Works Spreadsheet,
Works Calendar," so no there is no "Word" in MS Works. It is also not the
same as MS Word because MS Word is a much bigger and more features than the
MS Works word processor. Also, MS Word is not a stand alone program (at least
not that I've ever heard). MS Word is part of the MS Office suite. You're
right the MS Works word processor wont' save files in the .doc format, but it
will save them in older versions of MS Word and then MS Word can open many
different file types including older versions of MS Word documents. MS Word
also opens up .RTF documents easily.

I understand how you feel about not being able to afford high priced
software, but have you tried places online like Ebay. I bought a genuine copy
for around $30.
If you comfortable or don't want to look on Ebay for the MS Office suite
there is another alternative office suite which is very compatible with MS
Office 2000 called
open office. The web site for open office is http://www.openoffice.org.
Hope this helps you

"mscertified" wrote:

Can anyone tell me if the Word in MS Works 7, 8 or Suite 2004 or 2005 is the
same as standalone MS Word. I read some reviews which said you can only save
in RTF format, cannot import .DOC documents and cannot share documents with
regular Word users. I'm trying to find an affordable way to get Word for my
wife who is entering the computer age after using a typewriter for 30 years.
We can't afford to buy Microsoft Office.