If you would like me to look at the misbehaving file, send a *small* sample
to . In your email, please recapitulate the problem so
I'll know what to be looking for.

Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org

"Bill Drake" wrote in message
Hi, Cindy. I checked the File/Page Setup/Layout tab.

As far as I can see it's bog-stock. However, there is
one item that might affect this -- the Section Start is
set to "New Page".

I don't particularly see how this could create the described
condition -- especially as it does *not* show on Print
Preview -- but it's the only thing on the Layout page that
might impact the situation as far as I can see.

I've changed this to continuous and reprinted. Things have
definitely changed, but there is still some misformatting.

Now the first and second pages have the correct layout,
but the third and subsequent pages are shifted down by
0.25".

The shift seems to follow whenever I add a new subtitle-item.
For example, the body-text on page 3 lines up with the
beginning of the body-text on page 2, but the bottom margin is
extended down to suit the original page-layout dimensions.

Things change again on Page 5. There is a new subtitle-item
in the middle of that Page -- the top and bottom margins are
shifted down by 0.5" and the margins stay that way for the
rest of the document.

Any further ideas?

Thanks,

Bill

Cindy M -WordMVP- wrote:
Hi Bill,

My immediate inclination is that you have "Different first page"
activated in File/Page Setup/Layout, and that something in the
header/footer area is causing this?

The first page properly shows the top of the 18pt Title Text at the
1" top margin mark -- with free-space at the bottom of the document
of 1", respecting the fact that it is impossible to add another line
of text to this page without overflowing the bottom margin.

The second page shows the top of the 14pt sub-subtitle text at the
1.5" mark. I certainly didn't put it there... More importantly,
the bottom margin has shifted down so the bottom margin is now 0.75"
This completely breaks with the page-layout specification I set up
during the initial document-layout-creation process.

All subsequent pages respect the top-margin and bottom-margin
settings as for the second page. It's as if the whole page of info
has been shifted down -- but Word doesn't show or display this on
screen.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow
question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)