Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Default "Keep with Next" and/or "Keep Lines Together" not working

This is behavior that I consider a bug in Word. If you have a paragraph
formatted as "Keep with next," and there is not room for at least two lines
of the following paragraph on the same page (assuming that "Widow/orphan
control" is also enabled), the entire first paragraph moves to the next page
with the following paragraph. You'd think Word could leave all but the last
two lines of the first paragraph on the first page, but that is not the way
it is designed. For relatively short paragraphs, such as headings (which are
the type of paragraph most often formatte as KWN), this is not usually an
issue, and if you have short questions and long answers, it shouldn't be a
problem, but if the questions are long, you'll just have to live with it.

"Lisa" wrote in message
What am I doing wrong? I have a question/answer-type document in Word. I

do
not want page breaks occuring between the pairs of Q&A paragraphs.

Breaking
the paragraphs themselves is fine, I just don't want the page break

happening
right in between Question and the Answer. (By the way, these are fairly
large paragraphs, averaging ten or more lines apiece.) So I highlight the
last line of the first paragraph through the first line of the second
paragraph, go into paragraph formatting, and select "Keep with next."

Then I
hit "Okay." Boing! It sends the ENTIRE first paragraph onto the next

page,
as if I'd had "Keep Lines Together" selected in the formatting. But I

don't
have it selected! I don't want them kept together! How do I make it stop
when it's already NOT selected??? Widow/Orphan control is on, if that

makes
a difference. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Thanks.