Paul_In_Tbilisi Paul_In_Tbilisi is offline
Junior Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by handeiere View Post
I'd be interested in anyone else has any ideas on a cause/fix. Probably going to resort to reinstalling Office on her machine if this persists.
A workaround and clue to the underlying problem...

I just got this same problem today using Word 2003. I'm still not sure what the root problem was but - in my case - I had two documents open which were nearly identical. These were document templates I'd been sent to use with a heavily tabulated cover sheet.

I had to close one of these down before I could drag columns by their border lines again.

This didn't just affect documents based on that template - I opened a blank document and inserted a table. So long as I had both of those other documents open I couldn't drag columns in my new blank document either (or in any other open documents). Closing one of those two near-identical documents cleared the problem in all other open documents.

So, I found a work around which might give someone a clue as to why it happened. There were no macros that I could see in any of these documents, though the two document templates did include a few cold fields linked to the document properties sheet. Other than something screwy going on with the column width settings in these documents somehow causing a conflict, that's the only thing which was out of the ordinary with these docs.