Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default Data sources for different mailmerge letters

When you create your datasources via Word 2003, Word creates an Access .mdb
(and calls it an "Office Address List" that has a very specific structure -
for example, it has a single table and a single query.

When Word uses a .mdb as a data source, Word only lets you use the Edit
button in Mail Merge Recipients if Word thinks the .mdb is also an OAL. But
if you add a table (or maybe two tables) to the .mdb, Word will stop
recognising it as an OAL. The trouble is that even if you delete those extra
tables, Word may still not recognise the .mdb as an OAL. In other words, it
is not clear exactly what you have to do to a .mdb to ensure that Word
recognises it as an OAL. However, if you have added tables or queries as
part of your process of copying columns, I suggest the first thing you do is
back up your .mdbs and delete the objects you added. Then I'd probably also
run the one remaining query from within Access. It may not be enough, but
worth a try.

Peter Jamieson

"Lee" wrote in message
I am working with Word 2003 and Access 2003 and I am using mailmerge to
complete some letters. I have multiple datasources that I use for
different
letters. I would like to use some of the "columns" in one database with
some
other "columns" in another data base. I am currently cut an pasting
columns
and inserting them into an existing database, however, when I finish that,
the datasource will not allow me edit the mailmerge recipients, to enter
the
data to show up in the mailmerge letter. The only way that I can enter
the
data is to go to the Access database and enter the information and it will
then show up in the mailmerge letter. Otherwise, I have to re-develop the
whole datasource for the particular entries in need in the letter, is
there
an eaier way?