Default Excluding words from Dictionary

I think you misread the article. The path you cite is the one for the .lex
file; the only reason you are looking for that is to determine its name.
Your .exc file must be in the same location as your Custom.dic and must have
the same prefix as the .lex file. For example, my exclusion dictionary
(which works) is Mssp3en.exc and is in C:\Documents and Settings\Suzanne S.
Barnhill\Application Data\Microsoft\Proof.

"Simon 1972" wrote in message
Jay, hi there,
Thank you for the link.
I followed that (couldn't see any major difference from the MS Word Help,
though).

I have two folders containing the Word dictionary (MS Word came as part of
MS Works Suite 2003):
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Proof
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works

So just in case:
a) I put the .EXC file in both folders,
b) I restarted my PC.

Still no luck. MS Word still accepts the word "thx" .
I must be doing something wrong but I cannot see what.

--
Simon 1972

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 13:04:06 -0800, "Simon 1972"
wrote:

I want to exclude some words from the MS Word dictionary. I found this

topic
in the MS Word Help "Specify a preferred spelling for a word" and

followed it
but it did not work.

Can someone tell me what I need to do?

System details: MS Word 2002, UK region