Jay Freedman

Default Excluding words from Dictionary

Besides Suzanne's advice, I think you're going after the wrong mechanism.
The word "thx" is not included in the main dictionary in any version of
Word, so there shouldn't be anything to exclude. That misspelling is
probably in your custom dictionary, where it might have been placed by
mistakenly clicking Add instead of Ignore during a spelling check.

Go to Tools Options Spelling & Grammar. Click the Custom Dicitionaries
button. In the next dialog, you'll probably see only one custom dictionary
in the list, Custom.dic. Click the Modify button. If you see "thx" in the
list, select it and click the Delete button. Click OK, OK, Check Document,
OK. The spell checker should now flag "thx" as a misspelling.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
I think you misread the article. The path you cite is the one for the
.lex file; the only reason you are looking for that is to determine
its name. Your .exc file must be in the same location as your
Custom.dic and must have the same prefix as the .lex file. For
example, my exclusion dictionary (which works) is Mssp3en.exc and is
in C:\Documents and Settings\Suzanne S. Barnhill\Application
Data\Microsoft\Proof.

"Simon 1972" wrote in message
Jay, hi there,
Thank you for the link.
I followed that (couldn't see any major difference from the MS Word
Help, though).

I have two folders containing the Word dictionary (MS Word came as
part of MS Works Suite 2003):
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Proof
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works

So just in case:
a) I put the .EXC file in both folders,
b) I restarted my PC.

Still no luck. MS Word still accepts the word "thx" .
I must be doing something wrong but I cannot see what.

--
Simon 1972

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 13:04:06 -0800, "Simon 1972"
wrote:

I want to exclude some words from the MS Word dictionary. I found
this topic in the MS Word Help "Specify a preferred spelling for a
word" and followed it but it did not work.

Can someone tell me what I need to do?

System details: MS Word 2002, UK region

Try http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Genera...ordFromDic.htm.

--