Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Don Ellis Don Ellis is offline

Default Selecting sentence/paragraph with keyboard

Hi Suzanne,

I do have AutoFormat As You Type set but I think you'll find that you need
to type [space][hyphen][hyphen][space] to get my en dash with bookend spaces,
rather than [space][hyphen][space] as you suggest.

I don't want to harp on WordPerfect too much but their keyboard mapping
allows you to assign keystrokes to a particular key combination, so you can
simply assign [space][en dash][space] to Ctrl-/, for example. Quick and easy
and no need for macros and multiple keystrokes.

With every new release of Word, I keep hoping they will pick up some tips
from other developers.

Speaking of which, why can't I create my own custom keyboard in Powerpoint
and Excel, so that Ctrl-Shft-S equals Save As in all of them. Perhaps because
Microsoft is too busy adding more exotica and not reviewing the basics.

By the way, the mouse doesn't come into my second question -- it was an
afterthought.

Cheers,

Don

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you have the appropriate AutoFormat As You Type settings enabled, then
typing [space][hyphen][space] will result in [space][en dash][space]. I'l
grant you this is three keystrokes, but it doesn't require use of the mouse,
and I don't see how the mouse comes into this equation at all, anyway; if
the problem if just the en dash, you can assign a keyboard shortcut to that.