Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default updating Multiple references to automatic numbered figures

If you are using auto numbering, then you can use Insert | Reference |
Cross-reference to insert a reference to the paragraph number of the
numbered item. Cross-references don't update automatically (instantly), but
they update on printing or when you select them (or the whole document) and
press F9.

"Enforcer{EMC}" wrote in message
hi all
I am doing a Phd the subject of which is "Advanced electric guitar
technique" Much of my thesis contains musical exercises i. Anyway my
problem Im hoping someone can help me with is this;

Inserting a number using the field tab allows the number to change
automatically if I add a musical exercise to the text out of sequence (for
example I realize that a more in-depth break down of a musical exercise
resulting in a number of new figures being added). Obviously all the
subsequent numbers will change. However, if I have referred to them
elsewhere in the text by figure number, that reference number remains
unchanged.

How do I get those numbers to update automatically as well? At the moment
I have to go through the whole text and all the figures and change them
manually every time I make an addition it is very time consuming with 100s

of