Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Understanding tabs in TOC n styles

Tab _stops_ are automatically spaced (the US versions put them 1/2 inch
apart, I suppose European ones would put them 1 cm apart), and you can
change that default distance.

The leader-dots and the position of the page number in a ToC depend only
on having a "left tab" at the far right end of the paragraph ruler, and
that only appears in the ruler at the top of the window (maybe you even
have the rulers turned off). Show Non-Printing Characters shows you where
the tab characters are but not where the tab stops are.

On Monday, February 3, 2020 at 9:31:06 AM UTC-5, Manuel Barrena wrote:
When I create a Table of content, page numbers are written at the left
margin in each table entry. In order to do that, paragrahp styles TOC 1
to TOC 9 must have left tab stops defined at the left margin position.
By using reveal formatting button, I can see the tab stops defined in
their correct positions, what is completely right. However, if I examine
the style TOC 1 by using the modify style option through the Style pane
and access to the Tabs section from the button Format, then no tab stops
appear defined there. I wonder then where is stored the information
about tab stops to be applied in each TOC entry? Why the tab stops
information does not appear in the tab section of the paragrahp style?
It seems like the tab information had seen manually defined, but this is
not possible because the paragrahp style is automatically applied by
Word, so what am I missing here?