Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Heather C.[_2_] Heather C.[_2_] is offline

Default Is a form, template, or table best (when used by multiple user

Graham,
Would you happen to know why Jeff recommended using the Legacy Controls over
the Content Controls? I ask because, I picked up a book last night called
Word 2007 The Missing Manual (by Chris Grover) and he has this to say (on
page 341 under the Creating a Computer Form section) about the Legacy
Tools..."These are controls and tools that were used in previous versions of
Word. They don't have the same capabilities for sharing information as Word's
new content controls, so unless you need to edit a form developed in an older
version of Word, avoid the legacy control."

I used the Legacy (Forms) Controls to create my form
(table...template...thing). Can you speak to whether or not I will have
issues because I used the Legacy Form Controls?

Thank you,
Heather

Yes, at the end you will find that creating a document using tables as the
base formatting will be very helpful. Using tables will help you a lot in
keeping the formatting of the document when the document is filled out.
Using form fields would be the best way to go about for the data fields.
Now if you are using Word 2007 make sure that you use Legacy Controls over
Content Controls. Last to enabled the controls and save the document from
change, protect your document without a password. Before protecting, select
the Form Fill-in option as the protection so that this will keep the fields
enabled. Then save your document as a template. You will learn to love it.

Jeff.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Yes!

Heather C. wrote:
Thanks! To be sure I understand, you are saying to open a Word Doc
and create the form by using a combination of form fields and tables,
as appropriate, and finally, save it as a template so that users can
use it. Am I tracking? Heather

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

It probably needs to be all three - a table with form fields and
saved as a template.
The alternative is to create userform(s) and use them to populate a
standard document
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Userforms.htm . You will also find a lot
of useful information on userforms at
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/word_tips.htm

Heather C. wrote:
I need to create a "form" in Word (2007) to be filled out on a
regular basis by multiple users, but I do not know if I should
create a form, a template, or a table. It will include multiple
check boxes and multiple fields for the user to type-in detailed
information, and I need to make it aesthetically pleasing.

I have not done this before, and I am under a deadline so I need to
be certain that the right foundation (form, template, or table) is
chosen from the get-go.

Thank you to all the experts out there willing to offer some advice
and direction!!