Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Roy in Acworth[_2_] Roy in Acworth[_2_] is offline

Default Word 2007 Style Inspector and Apply Styles broken

Thanks Cindy,
Since I posted, I have tried the /a option which appears to be the same as
CTRL safe mode. Either of these fix 2 of the 5 broken items. The Apply
Styles and Style Inspector work, but the Styles and Reveal Formatting Panes
do not and the File Location Dialog also fails.

I have also done a remove and reinstall of Office and again with the
expected lack of results. I have found out that starting the COMPUTER in
safe mode does fix all the problems.

I am sure this problem is going to be way too much fun to fix.
--
Thanks
Roy

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi Roy,

Word 2007 SP1 with hot fixes
Sometime in the last 2 weeks, the Style Inspector, Apply Styles and the list
of styles have all quit working. The windows are blank with solid Office
Theme background color.

The Styles still show in the drop down list on the ribon and the quick
styles still show on the ribbon.

I have done 'repair install'. I have removed Word and reinstalled. (It is
actually part of 2007 Enterprise edition so that went very quickly.) My next
choice short of help here is to remove all of Office 2007 and I am not
looking forward to that one. Too many settings not to mention license key
issues.

Sometimes, repairs and re-installs don't touch things in the Registry that may
be causing a problem.

How about if you hold down CTRl to start Word in Safe Mode (installation
defaults). Does the problem go away as long as you're in Safe Mode?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)