Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
rndthought

Default Word should catalog misspelled words to study.

Suzanne,

You make a good observation in regards to trying to be all things. As for
keeping MS Word from loosing sight of the "primary functions" (or focus)... I
believe even a cursory overview of the options and abilities in Word show's
the ship has set sail (Invoicing with macros, auto creation of TOC, auto
formatting, Auto fill forms, creating HTML documents, altering Image
attributes - all on a word processor???). It seems to me that MS Word most
definitely has higher aspirations than that of a functioned word processor or
computerize type writer.

If a spelling tutor, I like that term Suzanne, doesn't belong in a program
whose primary purpose is to type words in the creation of documents,
presumably for purpose of communicating information accurately...where then?

This isn't a fundamental change in the program or a complete change in the
interface (which is coming in the next version)...simply an option (or if
possible a macro as Greg has shown in a limited fashion) that could be
enabled for those that wish to expand their spelling abilities. Why so much
resistance and need to voice it?

Thank you again for the thoughtful comments.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Where Word most often gets into trouble is through trying to be all things
to all people. I don't imagine, however, that the Word developers will ever
so far lose sight of the primary functions of Word as to incorporate
features that make it a spelling tutor.