"Picture placeholders" affects only inline graphics. "Drawings" covers
wrapped ones. If you work in Normal view, you won't see wrapped graphics
regardless of the Options setting. Working in Normal view as much as
possible is generally recommended for long docs (if you turn off background
repagination, this helps even more). For more tips on working with long
docs, see http://daiya.mvps.org/bookword.htm

"PopS" wrote in message
Easy Q, I think;

2.6 GHz, 512 RAM, 7200rpm drives, WinXP Pro SP2+ Word 2002 both
updated to current fixes.

As my document reached about 200 pages, it began to slow down
response-wise. No problem, not a big surprise since I have a lot
of graphics, although they are sized for presentation in a
document and most used without having to resize. A very few are
displayed landscape as whole-page docs.

When speed began to bug me, thanks to this group, I separated the
doc into two, then three, etc., and now have it in 5 logical
pieces; easy to work on.
Periodically I archive and then put it all together as one doc
to check the TOC and Outline sensibility and go from there.
About all I've done in Outline View is promot/demote a couple of
headings here and there; not much moving around as I started from
the Outline. Most work was done in Print Layout View.

One of the 5 parts is heavy with JPEG graphics, so I turned on
Picture Placeholders to speed things up a bit. At first it
didn't seem to work, but then I noticed it was sort of working -
some pics were placeholders and others were not. There's no
relation to insert time or version etc. that I can tell. Most
graphics simply are still there.
This seems to be a permanent situation and not file
dependent.
Also, after each time things do slow down, the loss of speed
remains after I close Word. I have to actually do a Restart to
get things back to "normal".

I was wondering if, in those of you who have experienced anything
like this, whether it boils down to:
- page file (1 Gig, on separate physical drive)
- Word corruption
- OS corruption
- ???

So far I've tired a Word Detect and Repair but only just now
thought about the page file.
Where else would you think would make sense to check?

TIA,

PopS