Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Default how do I turn off restricted formatting?

Hi ?B?amFjb2JpdGU=?=,

I have recieved a document from a colleague and want to amend the formatting
- thing is, when I open the document many of the options on the toolbar are
'greyed out' i.e. underlining, numbering, bulleting e.t.c. When I right click
a piece of text and right click, in the menu that appears the options, paste,
font, paragraph, bullets and numbering are also greyed out.

When I select a piece of text and then select, say, the underlined tool - I
get a box saying 'The command is unavailable because the formatting in the
current document is restricted'?

Yes, I have some ideas. But if your colleague has taken this step, perhaps he
doesn't want you to format the document any differently than he's expressly
allowed? Have you asked him?

Which version of Word do you have (I know which version your colleague, or the
person who provided the document, uses)?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)