Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Default outline view

If the document is saved in Outline view, it will open in that view.
But for Word to display only specific heading levels, a macro is
needed. A simple version would be something like this (stored in
normal.dot):

Sub AutoOpen()
If ActiveWindow.View.Type = wdOutlineView _
Or ActiveWindow.View.Type = wdMasterView Then
ActiveWindow.View.ShowHeading 3 'Specify the desired level
End If
End Sub

See http://gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm for assistance.

For a more advanced solution, try asking in a programming newsgroup.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"smk23" wrote in message
I have a document that I prefer to view in the Outline view. WHen I

save the
document, I save and close it with just the main headers showing.

When I
reopen the document, the entire document is open, not just the

headers
showing. I have looked for some way to control this to no avail. I

want to
open it just the way I closed it. How to?

Thanks
--
sam