Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Default Numbering Style in templates

There is no way to set a default numbering format in Word. Instead,
you should link numbering to styles, save as a template (*.dot file)
and then create documents based on that template whenever you want to
re-use the numbering. See
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html.

For more on templates and styles, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...platePart1.htm and
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...platePart2.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Dan Kelly" wrote in message
I seem to be being blind, but I cannot for the life of me find a way

to set
the required format for Outline Numbered lists in Word.

Every time I try and select 1.1.1, etc as the style in the template
(Format/Styles) when I try and activate the style from the toolbar I

get the
1, a, i style instead

Any tips?