Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default Two related questions concerning newsletter format

1. The second page probably ends with a Continuous section break. If you
removed that break, your columns would not be balanced, but, since the
section break contains the section formatting, you'd probably lose the
columns altogether. Other approaches a

a. Insert a column break (Ctrl+Shift+Enter) at the end of the text you
want to keep in the first column. You'll need to have at least some text (an
empty paragraph) following the column break.

b. In Tools | Options | Compatibility, check the box for "Don't balance
columns for Continuous section starts."

In either case, you may find that the last column/page behaves
unpredictably. I have a two-column club directory that sometimes ends up
with just one member listed on the last page, and Word has a maddening
insistence on splitting that entry even though it's formatted as "Keep lines
together" and followed by an empty paragraph, with "Don't balance columns"
enabled.

2. See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/RevealCodes.htm for the closest you
can get; also see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/WordVsWordPerfect.htm
for why you can't get any closer.

I have two more questions concerning the church newsletter I am trying to
format. I'm a newbie to Word (but a long-time user of WordPerfect), so I
am familiar with creating documents - including some complex documents -
but am not at all familiar with Word features. I like some parts of the
newsletter that was previously used, so decided to try to modify that. It
is set in three columns. The first column on the first page is shaded and
includes a type of index to the newsletter. The title of the newsletter
spans the next two columns.

I scanned a drawing of the church and inserted it above the second two
columns. That was successful and looks good. The problems I am having are
these:

(1) On the last page, text continues to be divided into three columns,
even if there is only a small amount of text. This looks like what
WordPerfect called balanced newspaper, or possibly parallel, columns.
Instead, I would like for the column to extend down the page because the
current setting is breaking a single paragraph into three columns if the
text for the newspaper does not fill the page. Is there any correction I
can make for this? I have not found any way to indicate the *type* of
columns wanted in Word.

(2) As a WP user, I am used to Reveal Codes. Is there any way in Word to
get an indication of what codes are being used? I have tried Show, but it
only seems to indicate paragraphs and section/page breaks. I don't see any
reference that even shows the beginning of column settings, and certainly
not to types.

Incidentally, I bought two Office manuals. Neither helped with these
questions, and I did not find the answer in the help files. The manuals
put more emphasis on using columns within tables, and that is not what I
need.

Thanks for any help you can provide. This is my third time to request
information, and this group has been very responsive. I really appreciate
it.

MaryL