Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Walter R. Walter R. is offline

Default universal document file format

Thank you, Jezebel

I have only Word 2002. Therefore I can not generate XML files. However, Word
2002 lets me save a Word document
as HTML (Webpage). If I save a .doc file as HTML, can anyone with a web
browser read my file? That would greatly simplify things.

Are there any converters that would let me convert .doc files into XML? I
have never seen an xml document.

Thank you very much

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
"Jezebel" wrote in message
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XML

You're not the first to observe that the situation "begs for
standardization". XML is the answer the world appears to be settling on,
not just for word documents, but for information exchange in general. It's
an open (non-proprietary) plain text file format "that allows information
and services to be encoded with meaningful structure and semantics that
computers and humans can understand".

It's similar to HTML only in that both use mark-up tags, and both are
derived from SGML.

W2003 documents can be saved as XML; all Office 2007 documents are
compressed XML.

"Walter R." wrote in message
XML, Isn't that similar to HTML? That does not sound like it is a popular
file format for word-processor documents. What am I missing?

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
"Jezebel" wrote in message
Ever heard of XML?

"Walter R." wrote in message
What is the most commonly used file format for word processor
documents? Word is limited to owners of Word, .rtf is not much better,
the new Word 2007 format is also proprietary. .txt is very limited. How
about the Open Office format?

This situation really begs for standardization. It would be nice if
anybody could read everybody else's documents. Is MS the stumbling
block in adopting non-proprietary standards? Any hope for a world-wide
standard?

--
Walter
www.rationality.net