Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Insert-symbol pop-up does not come up

See http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm then
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...artingWord.htm. with
particular attention to the Data ley in the registry and the normal
template.

aardvark69 wrote:
Thanks for all your help. I've used different versions of Word on
different computers and systems in the past and have never
encountered this problem. Running in safe mode indeed allowed the
pop-up to appear. However, nothing showed up under templates and
add-ins. I uninstalled all the Microsoft add-ins that I have
previously downloaded, including several compatibility plug-ins,
Cyrillic transliteration module and a couple of others. Still, only
running in safe mode allows for the symbols to work. I also checked
for COM add-ins. None are showing. The problem must be in one of the
options that was reset when I installed Office, but that does not
match the safe mode settings.

I could solve the problem by simply installing 2007, but I don't have
installation disks ready and I am working on a deadline. I suppose, I
could just run it in safe mode until I can fix the problem in another
way.

"Beth Melton" wrote:

If you have a printer installed and set as the default then that's
probably not the problem. Your additional details, that menu items
are being disabled, suggests the issue you are encountering could be
caused by a third-party add-in. To see if this is the case, exit
Word and restart it while holding the Ctrl key. Make sure you keep
the Ctrl key held down until you are prompted to start in Safe Mode.
When you start Word in Safe Mode you are using the factory defaults
and add-ins/customizations are not loaded. If you are now able to
access the Symbols dialog box then take a look at these articles for
finding and disabling the add-in:

Start with this one and the Resolution section start with "To
determine if you are using global templates or add-ins". (Disregard
the symptoms section, the Resolution steps are applicable)

If you are still unable to find the add-in after following the
Resolution in the first article then in this article start with the
steps provided in the Resolution section starting with "Method 1"
(Like the first, the resolution steps are applicable):

@microsoft.com...
I have a Brother 7820N installed, along with the PDF driver. I can