Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

Default Merging data with INSERTTEXT and MERGEFIELDs

I don't think you're gong to be able to do this - the usual workarounds
(e.g. bookmarking the part you want to include and only including the
bookmarked bit, using a frame instead of a text box) don't work. However, I
can't say I've tried every possibility.

If you only need the address and other merged info. on the first page of the
document, I would probably try the following:
a. Check File|Page Setup|Layout|Headers and Footers|Different First Page
b. also in File|Page Setup, make the top margin as small as possible
c. Includetext your file in the body of the document instead of the header
d. temporarily insert a page break so you can get at the page2
headers/footers, and put paragraph markers or other filler material in there
to pushthe margin down to where you need it.
e. remove the page break.

Peter Jamieson
"James" wrote in message
text boxes are in the graphics layer of the document, the merge will not

see the
fields they contain.

The thing is that it works in the main part of the document, if I include
link to a document with the text boxes in, then perform a mail merge it
works. It pulls in the text boxes, retains their fields and then merges
the
data. It even works in the header if I dont include it from another
document.
But when I try to include the text boxes into the header, it drops the
fields.