Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Aeneas Aeneas is offline

Default Figures and captions

I see your problem now. You have apparently changed the Wrapping Style of the
the pictures to one of the floating styles and then inserted the caption;
Word places the caption for "floating graphics" in a text box, which is in a
drawing layer rather than the text layer. Hence your figure numbering problem.

Tables of contents, tables of figures and indexes will gather entries from
drawing layers beginning with in Word 2007; cross-references to captions in a
drawing layer will now work in Word 2007 but SEQ fields (for example, in
captions) behave as they did in prior versions of Word.

I avoid floating graphics with captions like the plague but that is small
consolation to you. What I would do now, which may not work for you for many
different reasons (layout, time,etc.), is change the wrapping style of each
picture to inline and reinsert each caption.

May be someone else has a better idea.

"thermoregulator" wrote:

In reference to Aeneas suggestion: I am unable to select both the picture
and caption as a pair. The caption is not selectable like a textbox. The
entire text of the caption has to be selected and once you
shift/control+select another object you lose the caption selection. Each
have to be cut/paste separately. If I just needed to move a couple of
pictures it wouldn't be such a big deal. Framing works to group these 2
items but apparently disables the ability to update the caption field and
thus its sequential location within the document.