Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Word 2007 is "More intuitive??"

Much the same here. About the only things I use Word 2007 for are writing
letters (because I converted one of my templates to 2007 early on) and for
vba programming, because the vba help is better. I still use Word 2003 for
anything complicated, because it is second nature to do so.

I said early on that Microsoft had not considered the huge training
implications of such a radical change. I still think that the good parts of
this application are far outweighed by the inconvenience of the changes to
the interface.

I have however updated my web articles

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
I installed Word 2007 side-by-side with Word 2003, knowing that I
would probably use 2007 only for reference in answering users'
simpler questions. I still use Word 2003 for production work and
probably will continue to do so for some time. I've done a few things
in 2007 (my blog, letters to my kids using Word 2003 templates), but
I would have to have a lot more time to play around with it to get
comfortable enough to want to use it full time. I despair of ever
knowing how numbering works, though I must get that figured out in
order to update some of my Web articles. So far I haven't gotten a
round enough tuit for that. g

"starcat" wrote in message

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
The experience seems to be that the new UI is more intuitive for
brand-new users and not too difficult for casual users to get used
to. Longtime power users, the ones who knew where every command was
on every menu and where every button was in every dialog or on
every toolbar (and had their toolbars and menus extensively
customized), are the ones who are really suffering.

We're not just suffering - we're giving up. I have tried, I really
have, to adjust to the new interface, but I've come to loathe it so
much I've gone back to Word 2003. If Microsoft doesn't improve this
in their next version, then when 2003 is not working for me any
longer, I will have to seriously look elsewhere for my word
processing needs. I never thought I would ever give up on any
version of Word, but I'm giving up now. (I've been a power user
since Word 3.0, so it's a painful epiphany that Word isn't the right
program for me any more.)