This is the sort of problem that can be the very devil to troubleshoot.
After you've done the obvious things (checking paragraphs for "Keep with
next" formatting that might be causing an unnecessary page break, for
example), try inserting a Continuous section break above the Next Page break
to see if that makes any difference (though I don't see why it would, and it
would add needless complexity and actually probably make matters worse).
Also make sure that your vertical alignment (Layout tab of Page Setup) is
set to Top and not Justified.

"Lynnie" wrote in message
I layout dissertations, consisting of many chapters. Each chapter is made

section, so I (among other things) am able to make footnotes begin with 1

in
every chapter. Last page of the former chapter may filled with running

text
and say 10 footnotes, WITHOUT section. Footnotes at end of page, as should

be.

As soon as I make a section at the end of the chapter, last page is

divided
into 2 pages, with the running text split - at top of both pages - and
footnotes split on both pages.

The first of these 2 last pages... have footnotes directly under running
text, then lots of space. Almost the same thing with the last of these 2
pages, except the space is both above and under the footnotes.

Why does the "section divider" need so much space?