Top Spin

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 12:08:25 +0100, "Robert M. Franz"
wrote:

Hi Top Spin

Top Spin wrote:
I was able to link individual objects in a Visio document to a Word
document. If I edit the images in Visio, the changes are propagated
over to Word. But I was surprised that when I did a Save As... of the
Visio document with a different name, the Word link went to the new
Visio document with the new name. It did not stay with the original
Visio document.

As long as you insert the Visio objects via Insert | Object, the linking
will not work reliably (or, at least, didn't work so in earlier days; I
have yet to try it out in detail in Office 11; what did you say was your
version of Word ...?).

Sorry. I have Office 2000, Word 2000, Visio 2002 Standard. I have
added that to the signature.

But when you prepare a long document, you can usually live without
beeing able to (in Word) double-click into the graph and start editing
the content in the host application (Visio in your case).

Yes, I don't care about that. I don't even care if it dynamically
updates as long as I can run a command to update all of the graphics.

Rather, try
bringing the content over to Word in another form. Export it from Visio,
or use Copy and then Edit | Paste Special;

I did use Copy in Visio and Edit | Paste Special (Paste Link) in Word.
It brought the image into Word just fine. If I update the object in
Visio, it gets changed in the Word document, so I know Word is able to
establish a link to a single object in a Visio document.

But it seems to be embedding not only the link but the entire object
itself. WHY? Every time I Paste Special, the Word document grows by
several hundred KB. If it's just a link, it ought to grow by less that
100 bytes.

EMF would be my starting
point, I'm not sure what Word will offer to you coming from Visio.

I have never worked with EMF files. It sounds like this would be
another way to have the images as separate files. Right?

Greetings
Robert
PS: Crossposting: I'm not sure what made you think web.authoring was a
good group, unless your ultimate goal of the document was to convert to
HTML maybe?

Yeah, that might have been unnecessary. I do plan to put the document
up on a web site eventually. I was hoping that maybe the web guys
might have some ideas as they may deal with this sort of thing more
often.

--
Running MS Office 2K Pro
PC: HP Omnibook 6000