Beth Melton

Suzanne provided the reasons why many can not use OE or another
newsreader but those who tend to hang out more do access the ngs using
OE or an alternate newsreader. BUT everyone uses the same newsreader
as you do (because actually OE isn't necessarily the best newsreader -
each have their pros/cons) and they may handle posts containing
anything other than plain text differently. Take HTML, for example,
for some newsreaders this requires two downloads for the post: once as
plain text and the other as HTML.

That may not sound like a big deal but another factor to keep in mind
is not everyone has the same Internet access. Many overseas must pay
by the byte or minute and unncesssary posting size, such as HTML,
along with embedded images/attachments cost them money. And, of
course, don't forget the dial-up users - large posts, such as HTML or
those that contain images/attachments cost them time.

It wasn't that long ago I only had a dial-up and waiting for posts to
download became frustrating - especially when I had a limited amount
of time to access them. And occasionally I'll access them using my
cell phone for Internet access when I'm traveling. Yeah, even slower
than dial-up!

So...in order to keep newsgroup posts so they can be read by everyone
and cost everyone a minimal amount of time and money, posting in plain
text and no attachments/images is considered good netiquette.

If you don't know how to set OE to use plain text by defaut here are
the steps you need:

1. Go to Tools/Options
2. On the Send tab select "Plain text" under the "News sending format"
section at the bottom.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Cynthia" wrote in message
I see --- well... Why don't people access the newsgroup like I do?
Makes me wonder.

The fact of the matter is the person you are attempting to help
doesn't see your reply or may not see all of your reply, due to the
images.

In this case the OP has posted using the web interface on the MS site.
Some of your text shows up but the images don't. So unfortunately, all
that time you spent trying to help the OP was for naught. :-(