Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Default Handling page numbers in sections of a template

This is not one of Word's great successes: it just doesn't like mixing page
sizes. I also believe that most printers will barf if you try printing the
document as a continuous run.

My usual solution is to insert an empty page (or a sheet if you are
duplexing) and then create the 11 x 17 and substituting it for the empty
page. The 11 x 17 page can then be fan-folded to align with the rest of the
Letter pages. Because it is a separate document, you can add the same H&Fs
and number the pages to match the sheet it substituted.

The alternative is to slip the 11 x 17 sheet to the back of the document as
an Appendix and point to it in the main body. We do this because we often
have to slip in wide network drawings, racks or floor plans (from Project)
or spreadsheets from Excel.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Kathy" wrote in message
I'm creating a template in Word 2007 that is set to paper size 8.5x11. It
has
4 sections with different footers & page numbers (cover, letterhead, TOC,
main body).

Users of the template will sometimes have to insert a spreadsheet that is
sized 11x17 in the main body, but not in a consistent place.

My thought is to teach them how to insert 2 section breaks and then change
the size of one page/section to be 11x17. When you do that, though, the
page
numbering starts over at 1.

Is there a way to force the page numbers to stay consistent throughout the
main body, no matter where they insert a section break? Or is there a
better
way to teach them to insert an 11x17 spreadsheet?

Thanks very much.