Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Default Handling page numbers in sections of a template

No, Word doesn't support saving a section break in a style. You could
experiment with creating an AutoText entry containing a section break, but I
suspect it would cause more confusion among your users (for example because
a section break stores the formatting of the *preceding* section).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Kathy" wrote in message
Pam, thanks for the feedback. I agree that users should know how to do it
by
hand, but unfortunately that's not my reality. I like the macro idea, but
I'm
hesitant to do that because the users of the template may have macros
disabled -- and explaining that might open another can of worms.

Another thought I had was to force a new section every time a certain
style
was used. I already have a page break forced every time a custom Heading 1
level is used; is there a way to save a section break to the Heading 1
instead? That would enable me to set the continous page numbering
throughout
the document, no matter where they insert a different-sized page.

Kathy

"Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com" wrote:

Kathy wrote:
My thought is to teach them how to insert 2 section breaks and then
change
the size of one page/section to be 11x17. When you do that, though, the
page
numbering starts over at 1.

The next step is to format the page number to continue from the previous
section both in the 11x17 section and the one after. For any section
breaks
after these two, the numbers should be continuous. --Word repeats
settings
from the previous (like) header/footer in the new one. Because you
restarted the numbering for your main section, they are being restarted
in
the next section break.

Is there a way to force the page numbers to stay consistent throughout
the
main body, no matter where they insert a section break? You might look
into developing a macro that will do all of that with one button click.
But users should know how to do it by hand anyway.

Pam