Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Carroll Jay Carroll is offline

Default Making Word 2007 default program for opening .doc files

Vista

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

Are you using Windows XP or Vista?

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Jay Carroll" wrote in message
You see that's the problem. When I get to the Default Program menu, Word
2007 is not a choice. Well, just browse right. When I browse to Winword,
select it, but it doesn't show up in the program box. I can select it,
but
doesn't appear as new option. Any suggestions?

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

If repairing doesn't work, then try right-clicking a .doc file in Windows
Explorer, choose Open With - Choose Default Program.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
Web: http://www.herbtyson.com

"Jay Carroll" wrote in message
Does that mean run a Diagnostic, because I did that already and it says
there
are no problems found. I'm not getting any sort of message telling me
that
something is wrong. So what specifically should I do?

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

You need to repair Office 2007 - preferably from the original
installation
disc - to ensure that the registry settings are correctly configured.

Jay Carroll wrote:
I can't see to set up Word 2007 as my systems default program for
opening a .doc file. I assume its tied to the new file format. But
its really annoying when I open a .doc file off the internet or
through an attachment, and I am being asked to pick a program for
Windows to open this file...Pick a program? Come on...I try to pick
winword 2007 but will not allow it. It doesn't appear in the
choices
box and when browsing to it, I can select it but it never works.
What is up with that? This is an issue concerning saving a file in
the .doc format. Its about opening a .doc file. I can save the
file
to my computer and then open Word 07, click open and select the file
from there, and it works. But if I close it down, and just try to
double click the file at its location, it puts the question to me
again about what program. Please help.