Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

Default Global command to restart all numbered lists at 1?

It's not clear from your description that you set up an outline (W2003)
/multilevel (W2007) list where you linked a numbering level to a paragraph
style. If you have already set up the list, check to make sure the
numbering level 4 (the one linked to the list number paragraph style) is set
to restart after numbering level 3. If that doesn't fix the problem, post
back.

Otherwise, to set up a list put the cursor in the first heading 1 in your
document and ...

If you are using W2003 and before, set up the list by modifying heading 1
(modify numbering outline numbering). Choose a built-in list that is
close to what you want and is linked to styles, such 1 Heading 1, 1.1
Heading 2, etc. Then click customize.

If you are using W2007, set up the list by creating a new multilevel list:
Click the multilevel list button. Choose a list gallery icon that is close
to what you want and is linked to styles, such as
1 Heading 1, 1.1 Heading 2, etc.. You'll be dropped out of the list
function. Click the multilivel list icon again and then Define new
multilevel list.

In the "customize/define new..." dialog, the first three numbering levels
may be what you want. Go to numbering level 4 and link it to the list
number paragraph style. Make sure it is set to restart after level 3.

See http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html for more
information the choices in the dialog.

HTH,
Pam

bufossil wrote:
Thanks Pamelia, here's an update.

First, I am using a different authoring tool, which publishes content to
Word. So, I go into Word and set up the template ahead of time, so when the
content is published to Word, it has the format I need.

In the Word template, I have verified the following:

Heading 1 is set to outline level 1.
Heading 2 is set to outline level 2.
Heading 3 is set to outline level 3.

So, I went into the List Number style, and set the paragraph properties to
outline level 4.

Then, I went back into my authoring tool, and published the content into
Word, using the updated Word template.

None of the numbered lists restart at 1. All List Number styles
automatically continue the numbering from the previous list, even though
separated by many heading 2 and heading 3 styles.

I went into the List Number properties and verified that it does, indeed,
indicate the paragraph is set to be outline level 4.

I think I am going to try Klaus' macro idea.

By the way, what would be the real world purpose for numbered lists that are
separated by several headings to continue from the previous list? Why would
this be the default configuration for numbered lists in Word?