Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Don Harris[_2_] Don Harris[_2_] is offline

Default Modifying Open and Save As Dialog Boxes

Herb:

You're wonderful. Thank you. Makes complete sense and works well. I think
I'll like it. But, don't you think that MS should actually have help about
that in the 2007 Office help files instead of giving people information about
how to do it in 2003? Thanks again. I can now save an appointment with a
psychiatrist.

Don

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

Hi, Don,

Once you figure it out, you're going to *love* file dialogs in Office
2007/Vista. They're much more flexible than Places, and Favorite Links
follow you into Windows Explorer, not just Office 2007 applications.

The left side of the file dialog boxes (called the Navigation Pane) can be
any mix of Favorite Links and Folders. Drag the top of Folders up or down to
resize. Or, double-click Folders to display all or part of the system file
folders.

When you see a location you'd like to be a "Place" (borrowing 2003 and
earlier's jargon) just drag it into Favorite Links. Those shortcuts can be
renamed so they're more useful, too, without affecting the name of the
actual location.

Also... look at Organize. Click Organize - Layout, and you'll see that there
are two other panes you can display as well (or not, if you prefer).

Look at the Search box in the upper right corner! Finally, searching that's
as easy as it should be. File-finding chores that took minutes in earlier
versions, now take seconds.

Mind you... there's not a lot about Vista that I like. But, the way search
and Favorite Links work make up for a lot of that UAC pain (for me, at
least).

Play with the File dialog boxes inside Word, Excel, etc. Compare them to
Windows Explorer. Except for the fact that you can display a menu in Windows
Explorer (Organize - Layout - Menu bar), the File dialog boxes and Windows
Explorer are basically the same.

One you "get" what you can do with Favorite Links, I think you'll start to
like the ease of use a lot more than Places.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Don Harris" wrote in message
news
Glad it worked for you. I'm so confused I'm ready to scream. Word 2007,
Vista Business. The My Places Bar does not seem to exist. On the left of
my
File pen and File Save As Boxes I have a list that starts with "Favorite
Links", "Templates", "Documents", etc., then a area called "Folders".
Nowhere does it look like or behave like the My Places Bar from 2003. The
help window inside Office 2007 shows a different box than the one that
opens
in Word 2007. I've Googles. I've searched microsoft.com and found
nothing,
except for Tim's post with the question and his response "That works".
Can
anyone help. I've been using Word for years and am pretty proficient, so
this is really hassling me. Thanks in advance.

Don

"Tim" wrote:

Thanks. That works. So how do I remove some of the defaults in the
list?
The folder at the top is called "Trusted Templates" (I'm not even sure
what
that is), and apparently can't be removed or even moved down the list.
Any
ideas?

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" 75214.226(At Beautiful Downtown)compuserve.com
wrote
in message ...
Hi Tim,

In Word 2007 navigate to the folder you want to add then right click in
the places bar on the left side of the Open or Save dialog
and choose 'Add'.

"Tim" wrote in message
XP.
--