Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] bmurphy@xlrotor.com is offline

Default table style question, space before and after

Now that you've pointed it out, I see that the space before for the
"header row" is also inside the table as opposed to being before the
table.

Looks like Microsoft has some work to do for the next Service Pack.
These options would be very useful if they did what it seems they
should.

Brian

On Sep 18, 10:46 am, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
If I add Space After to a paragraph in a table, I get Space After that
paragraph (inside the table), but it would not make a difference if the row
height were set to an Exact amount (the vertical alignment of the cell
contents might make a difference, too).

Word MVP FAQ site:http://word.mvps.org

wrote in message

ups.com...

In my particular case (I'm using tables to handle equation captions)
my tables have no borders. When I set this option to any number of
points, no space is added anywhere that I can see, inside or outside
the table.

Do you get something different when you do this?

Brian

On Sep 17, 11:10 pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
It should add the space after the paragraph, but it will likely still be
inside the table. This won't matter unless you're using borders, but if

you
are, it won't be helpful.

Word MVP FAQ site:http://word.mvps.org

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

wrote in message

roups.com...

Do y'all agree that if you go Modify / Table Style/Last Row/Paragraph/
Space After that this should add the elusive space after a table?

I'm still hoping that if this is done in just the right way, it will
work.

Brian Murphy
Austin, Texas

On Sep 17, 3:46 pm, "Terry Farrell" wrote:
Suzanne

I rarely leave empty paras the exceptions being similar - under ToCs

and
under Tables. But I am looking into the latter at the moment.

Terry
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in

l...

When you add space below to that blank paragraph, you're adding it

paragraph. If you have nonprinting characters displayed, this is

very
evident. The paragraph alone, if left empty, creates space below

the
table,
too, but I don't leave empty paragraphs anywhere except when
absolutely
necessary (as between a TOC and a section break or between TOCs).

Word MVP FAQ site:http://word.mvps.org
newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
Suzanne

This is something I have always had a hard time getting my head
around. I
find that if there is a blank para following the table, I can

select
the
table and use format, para to add space below to adjust the space
between
the table and following para. If there isn't a blank para, then
selecting
the table and adding Space Below adds the space to the table

cells.
I'll
have to play with this some more but these results seem to

contradict
the
formatting being held in the final cell marker. (Maybe this is

only
true
if
there is nothing following the table other than the para mark?)

Terry

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
.. .
Are you sure about this, Terry? I thought the table attributes

were
stored
in the end-of-table marker. The requirement for a normal text
paragraph
after a table at the end of a document is to store the

*document*
(that
is,
section) formatting. I'm not sure what the required empty

paragraph
after
table in the Header/Footer is supposed to for, though.

Word MVP FAQ site:http://word.mvps.org
newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
If you don't put a 'blank paragraph' between the table and the
following
text paragraph, then the table attributes are stored with the
paragraph
mark
of the following text para. I never understood why this should

be
so,
but
unfortunately, its the way it works. To get a blank paragraph
below
the
table, put the cursor at the beginning of the following text
paragraph
and
press enter. The new para mark then stores the table

attributes.

Terry

wrote in message
roups.com...
I can't seem to find a paragraph mark after a table (Word

2003).

Is there some trick to finding it?

At the end of the last row of the table I see only a little
square.

The very next line after the last row of the table is the

first
line
of the next paragraph.

Brian

On Sep 17, 4:59 am, "Stefan Blom"

wrote:
You can add some Spacing After (Format | Paragraph, Indents

and
Spacing
tab)
to the paragraph mark following the table.

Note that if the paragraph below has Spacing Before, Word

will
only
display
the larger amount of the two settings for Spacing Before

and
After.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote in message

groups.com...

No good. Double spacing on the last row doesn't create

any
space
after if the table only has one row. Darn.

Brian

On Sep 15, 8:26 pm, wrote:
Hmmmm. I'm using Word 2003, and I don't see any pilcrow

at
the
end
of
a table. There's a pilcrow at the end of the paragraph

that
is
right
after the table, and it's formatted as Body Text.

It seems like something is not right with Word. In the
table
style
assigned to the table, for the Header Row I set 12

points
space
before, and this does just what I want and what I

expect.
When
set
12 points space after for the Last Row, this does

nothing!
Is
there
some trick to getting that to work?

I just discovered that if I set double line spacing for

the
Last
Row,
that seems to produce 12 points of space after just the

last
row.
That will be good enough for this particular situation

since
my
tables
only have one line of text in the last row. It wouldn't
work
otherwise.

Brian

On Sep 15, 10:38 am, "Terry Farrell"

wrote:

Immediately following a table is a paragraph

formatting
mark
(the
reversed P
symbol or pilcrow): this holds the formatting

parameters
of
the
table.
If
you select it (it should select the whole table) and

you
can
use
Format,
Paragraph and set the Space Before and Space After
settings.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

wrote in message

ups.com...

I want space both before and after a table, but not
between
rows
of
table.

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Brian Murphy