Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Default misbehaving ToC quandry

To add to Jay's reply, you need to minimise many of the manual page breaks
as well as all those section breaks. In some cases, I expect that you want
the next page to start on the right hand page. You can achieve this by
either using Section Break, Next Odd Page or better still, add the
Paragraph, PageBreakBefore attribute to the first line of following page.

If you are adding some of the Section Breaks because you want to change
chapter title in the Header or Footer, then look at using the StyleRef field
instead of using section breaks.

There is definitely a corruption in there somewhere and ridding all those
page breaks followed by section breaks - most of which are not required -
will probably resolve the problem.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

wrote in message
I've been fighting with a Table of Contents problem that I just cannot
figure out.

This is a document in Word 2002 (used within Windows XP). When its ToC is
updated it consistently gives the wrong page for one entry.

I created a skeleton version of the document, replacing actual text with
the word "text" to keep things simple, and placed this document at:

http://www.hold.orthohelp.com/problemToC.DOC

The problem has to do with the ToC entry for "Part I A Little History"

which the ToC consistently shows as being on page 2, even though it
actually is on page 1.

Does anyone have an idea how to fix this? I've looked at the show/hide
codes but just cannot figure out why it is doing this. Any help would be
appreciated.

Jeff