Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Christoph Arnold Christoph Arnold is offline

Default data source with 508 fields

Thanks for your quick response!

- I tried with confirm conversion - word opens it as a normal textfile.
- Disabling the virus checker didn't change the behaviour.
- When we reported it to MS (two weeks ago), we were told that we can't have
more than 256 fields as a datasource for mailmerge, but this week we saw (on
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294688/de) that it should be possible to use
more fields (we reported this - and the fact that opening just the file
fails - again, but still waiting for a response...)

Christoph Arnold

"Peter Jamieson" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
I would try the following:
a. check Word Tools|Options|General|"Confirm conversion at open" and try
opening the file again. Please note what format Word thinks it is trying
to open
b. if you have a virus checker enabled and are in a position to disable it
temporarily, try doing that then opening the file.

If necessary report the problem to Microsoft through their support
incident mechanism (on their website) if you cannot get it to work (other
people here may offer suggestions, but we are just volunteers).

Peter Jamieson
"Christoph Arnold" wrote in message
I'm trying to use a textfile (with 508 fields) as a datasource for
mailmerge.

In Word 2000 this file works, but the same file used in Word 2003/2007
doesn't work (the dot, that uses this file as a datasource is loaded and
shown in word, then word hangs / cursor stands still / no reaction on
keyboard/mouse )

The same happens, when I open just the textfile with word! No problem
with Word 2000, Wordpad, Notepad... but hangs when opened with Word
2003/2007.

Thanks for any help!

Christoph Arnold