Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Default plain text in text box does not print - Word 2003

A text box is in the Drawing layer, like floating graphics. That has several
consequences:

- Text boxes never appear in any view except print layout. Period.
- If the "Drawing objects" option is unchecked in Tools Options Print,
text boxes won't print either. They also won't appear in Print Preview. I
think that's your problem, and checking the option should fix it.
- Text in a text box is never picked up by an automatic table of contents
(TOC field).

You're better off converting the text box to a frame, which is in the text
layer and doesn't have all these foibles. In the Format Text Box dialog,
on the Text Box tab, click the Convert to Frame button. Since you have just
plain (or 'pain') text, you can ignore the ugly message about losing
formatting, and click OK.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

mdbg wrote:
I am having a problem printing the text that I have put into a text
box.
This is just pain text, nothing fancy. Only in the print layout view
does the text box and text appear. If I switch to any other view or
print the document, the text does not appear. I have tried changing
the layout options and have selected "no fill" for fill color. I am
an experienced Word user and I just cannot figure out what I can be
doing wrong. Does anyone know the solution to this problem??