Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

Default all of a sudden, header takes up half of each page

Two other things you could check:

Is it possible that you have added a number of empty paragraphs in the header?
To check this, select View Header and Footer. Show formatting marks to
make paragraphs marks visible (click the ΒΆ icon in the Standard toolbar).
Delete the empty paragraphs if found (one will remain).

If you do not find a series of empty paragraphs, check whether extra space
has been added after the single, empty header paragraph (Format Paragraph
Indents and Spacing tab Spacing After).

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"adam j" wrote:

Doug - thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately the vertical alignment
is already set to TOP.

"adam j" wrote:

I'm using Word 2003. This is the second time that I have been typing on a
report, and without warning the headers suddenly take up almost half of each
page, although they have no content. I have already learned from reading
these threads that headers can't be deleted. I'm really hoping to make
things normal again, and also learn what I (accidentally) did to make this
happen.

Thanks!