Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
PA PA is offline

Default Word 2007 is unacceptable and must be changed

We spent a fortune training our users in Office 97 (switched from WordPerfect
and Lotus 1-2-3), and then the new features in Office 2002. We are staying
in 2002 until it is no longer viable for us and will then consider going back
to WordPerfect or to Open Office, unless MS wises up - and considering the
arrogance of that organization, wiseing up is highly unlikely.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

The only thing that will convince Microsoft of their folly is if the take-up
of Word 2007 is poor, and/or the corporates move to WordPerfect or Open
Office in significant numbers. There's a huge potential retraining bill
here, and business does not like spending unnecessarily.

Whether this failure to take up is going to happen is anyone's guess. I
suppose that eventually if we wish to stay with the Word product we will
have to adapt. I for one am in no rush.

Larry wrote:
With Word 2007, Microsoft has jumped the shark.

I think the Word community, led by the MVPs--and I've seen several
MVPs openly express their unhappiness about 2007€”needs to communicate
with Microsoft and tell them that Word 2007 is UNACCEPTABLE. Acting
as a group we need to ask MS, among other things, to restore basic
features that have been removed such as the Menu bar, the Toolbars,
and custom menus and toolbars; to give users the ability to opt out
of the Ribbon (not just to minimize it temporarily, but get rid of
it); and to restore the ease of accessibility of various important
dialog boxes that have now been hidden away in the most senseless
locations.