Bob Mathews

On 16-Mar-2005, wrote:

I don't know why my the equations can't be read when I'm using
a rather new version of Word. All the symbols that come out
are gibberish nonsense. When I convert using equation editor,
the equations come out incomplete with several mathematical
signs missing. This is highly frustrating.

Could it be that some of the equations were created with
MathType, and not Equation Editor? Do this... Click on one of the
"bad" equations (that's a single click, not a double click). Look
at Word's Staus Bar (the bottom of the Word window). At the lower
left, it will tell you what kind of object that is. If it says
"MathType 4" or "MathType 5", then Equation Editor can't open it.

Regardless of the answer to the above, MathType should be able to
open & edit the equations. You can download the trial version at
the link in my signature, and even if you decide not to buy it,
it will always open MathType and Equation Editor equations. The
only downside to that is that someone without at least MathType
Lite (which is what the trial version is called after the trial
period is expired) won't be able to open your equations.
--
Bob Mathews

Director of Training 830-990-9699
FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluation of MathType 5
Design Science, Inc. -- "How Science Communicates"
MathType, WebEQ, MathPlayer, MathFlow, Equation Editor, TeXaide