Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Leonard Leonard is offline

Default Force chapter to start at odd-number page

Thanks Suzanne, that fixs my problem.

I first remove the page break and then insert an odd page section break. But
word restart the page number from 1 for the new section. I change the page
number format so that it continues from the previous section. But the first
page of the new section is a blank page! I have to manually remove this bland
page and now everything is OK.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Instead of using a page break, use an Odd Page section break. Having each
chapter in a separate section can provide other advantages as well (such as
the ability to use "Different first page" for the headers and footers). The
trick is figuring out how to insert a section break in Word 2007. The Insert
tab (where you might expect to find the command) has only the page break.
Look for section breaks in the Page Setup section of the Page Layout tab.
Under Section Breaks, choose Odd Page.

When you use an Odd Page section break, Word will insert a completely blank
even page if the previous section (chapter) ends on an odd page. You will
not see this page even in Print Preview unless you are displaying two pages,
but when you print, Word will "print" the blank page.

"Leonard" wrote in message
I am writing my PhD thesis in Word 2007. I insert an page break at the end
of
each chapter so that the next chapter start at the next page. But I don't
know how to set each chapter to start at odd-number page as required by my
institute. For example, if chapter 1 ends at page 20, it's OK now because
chapter 2 will start at page 21. However if chapter 1 ends at page 19,
chapter 2 now will start at page 20. I want it to start at page 21 and a
blank page is inserted after the end of chapter 1, i.e. page 19. Any
suggestions, thanks.