Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Finding a single word via find/replace wildcards

You could turn off your KJV dictionary and that would then allow such words
to be flagged as in error and give you the option to replace all with real
words. If you want to stick with searches, then
http://www.gmayor.com/replace_using_wildcards.htm will explain the
structure

"Paul B." wrote in message
Thanks to everyone for the answer. That was a very clear explanation,
Jay. The function of the @ had escaped me. I have some Perl RegEx
experience, but Word's lingo frequently drives me batty.

Graham, the reason I'm trying to do this via Search is that I
occasionally want to convert KJV Bible verses to more modern usage, so
it's more than a question of the "wouldest" word, and I'm constructing
a macro to do it all (besides, I have a KJV dictionary installed, so
'wouldst' isn't flagged in spell check). I could have made that more
clear in my post. I'll probably doctor this up to only pick up "est"
word endings preceded by certain consonants, in order to avoid false
positives.