Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
TerenceF

Default redaction

Herb

Thank you. I agree with both your sentiments.
I will be mindful of your reminder about fast saves.

The documents I am saving are open but contain closed information. Being
open they are not encrypted but the closed information is removed/redacted
before release.

Terence Freedman

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

When you do a find/replace, I assure you, the text removed is indeed
actually removed--all anyone would see is [REDACTED]. (The only caveat is
not to use Word's Fast Save feature, since it can cause deleted text to
actually be retained. For the kinds of documents you're talking about,
however, I would expect for encryption to be used, so the Fast Save problem
would not be a factor.)

There are a variety of ways redaction might be implemented. Note that there
are businesses where the method employed in Microsoft's redaction add-in is
precisely what is wanted. Granted, it's not what you/NSA want, but it does
fill someone else's need.

Having said that, however, I would be surprised if a year from now precisely
what you seek has not been incorporated into a later redaction offering.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"TerenceF" wrote in message

The process of redaction removes selected text at the behest of the
redacter
and this is not a 'find/replace' edit. The text removed will actually be
removed.